Official Announcement of Merge
From this post
After several weeks of discussion the leaders of Compiz and Beryl have agreed that the two communities shall reunite. This decision is supported by both David and Quinn and represents the majority decision of the administrators and developers in each community. At this early stage not a lot has been decided, but these are the main points of the agreement...
- Compiz will be run in two separate divisions: the Core and the Extra packages will be run separately
- Compiz-Core will be as described here, and will be called 'Compiz'
- The Compiz-Extra division (which currently includes plug-ins that are often any or all of more 'interesting', newer, less stable, less tested or just less supported by the Compiz-Core people) and this will temporarily be called 'Composite Community'
- The new 'Composite Community' package will consist of the best code from the existing Beryl and Compiz plugins that is not in Compiz-Core.
- There will be a 'Code Review Panel' made up of coders from both teams, in charge of ensuring the code released by the 'Composite Community' "meets the highest standards and is suitable for distribution in an officially supported package"
- Support for existing packages/projects will continue at least until a release of the new composite project
- The separate forums and websites will remain until a combined portal/system is up and running. After a new forum is created additional details can be confirmed, a name chosen and release goals clarified.